Organized in 1947, the Bristol Rescue Squad, later changing its name to the Division of Emergency Medical Services, was formed under the Bristol Fire Department. The Division of Emergency Medical Services was formed to provide comprehensive, state of the art pre-hospital care to the sick and injured citizens of Bristol Rhode Island.
The first apparatus used as an ambulance was a 1936 Ford panel truck that was donated. In 1951, the Squad receive it's first new truck, a Dodge Van, that came equipped with a state of the art two-way radio that operated on the police frequency. In the 1970's "Car 5", a Cadillac ambulance was used until it was replaced by a van in 1981. Since then evolution's in care and vehicles has evolved into the apparatus you see today.
With time, and advances in pre-hospital care the Division of Emergency Medical Services (EMS) grew to meet the task of serving Bristol’s diverse population of over 23,000 residents, with an estimated additional population fluctuation of 6,000 - 10,000 Roger Williams University students and seasonal visitors throughout the year.
The dedicated men and women, consisting of Emergency Medical Responders, Emergency Medical Technicians (EMT), Advance Technicians, and Paramedics effectively respond to over 2800 EMS calls, per year, for help making Bristol one of the Busiest Volunteer EMS services in the state of Rhode Island.
Bristol also provides its surrounding municipalities with mutual aid, public education, outreach, and other community orientated programs.